First United Methodist Church   •   1011 Houston Street, Levelland, Texas 79336   |   806.894.6159
Welcome to First UMC of Levelland
Home  |  About Us more   |   Worship more   |   Ministries more   |   Weddings more   |   Pastor's Note  |   Events  |   Contact Us  |   Give Online

History of First UMC, Levelland, Texas

History of FUMC First UMC, Levelland was chartered in 1924 and held the first worship services in a wooden building at the present site of Levelland Junior High School. In 1925, the completed construction of the first building on Houston Street and Avenue J was a white 36' by 40' wooden building facing west on the location where the present building is today. In 1928, due to a rapidly growing congregation, a 30' by 40' wing was added, which faced Houston Street. In 1933, a basement was dug for a new building, completed in mid-summer, and worship moved to what is now the old Fellowship Hall. The old Fellowship Hall is now our Choir Room.


In 1940, the current Sanctuary, plus a three-story education building was completed, and the old wooden buildings were razed. The church borrowed $1,000.00 to pay off the construction costs. The church added a two-story education building which was completed in October, 1950 at a cost of $42,739.00. The present Sanctuary was enlarged and the pipe organ was installed in 1952. In 1957, the present Sanctuary was enlarged again to the present size and, due to overcrowding during morning worship, the church offered two Services. In 1963, the church acquired the "Bridwell" property, and used the old appliance store for a choir room and a recreation hall, and in 1978, the recreation hall was remodeled into what became the Activity Building.

In 1981, the pipe organ was removed, and the Allan digital organ was purchased through cash donations and pledges. The Narthex was added in 1983 enclosing the steps going up into the Sanctuary and a new elevator was installed. A huge, beautiful stained-glass window was added to the foyer and the church bought a new parsonage located at 103 Baylor Lane. In the late 1980s, the property on the north side of the church was donated and the old apartment building there was leveled to create a parking lot. In 1992, the area between the Sanctuary and the church offices was made into an enclosed courtyard. The church helped start the South Plains College Wesley Foundation in 1996. In 2003, the white building on the north side of the church was donated to the church by the O'Connor family.

In 2005, ground-breaking began for the new Family Life Center, which became a new gym, four classrooms, two large storage rooms, one office space and a youth area. The new addition was built on the east side of the church. The Activity Building was remodeled into the kitchen, Fellowship Hall, bathrooms, parlor and bridal room. Work was completed on the addition in 2006. The 15-year loan for this addition, to be originally paid-off in 2020, was paid-in-full by June, 2010.
© Copyright 2017 First UMC of Levelland   |   United Methodist Websites provided by Finding GodsWay Web Ministries, Inc., all rights reserved.